Thursday, November 4, 2010

"Let the Little Children Come Unto Me"

Because I want to someday after Kenya become a midwife I have been volunteering at the General hospital in town. This is sadly the best hospital in the region and most people don’t want to go there because the conditions are not exactly top quality. When I told some of my friends in Kenya that I was going to be volunteering at the Hospital they were a little shocked. One Mama said it was to dirty for me and that she didn’t think I would be able to stomach what happens there. Many others were surprised and wondered what I could possible be doing there.
What I want to do there is learn about medicine and learn about babies, delivery and show the love of Christ. I want to be a servant to all and to be a light in the darkness. I want to go where most people don’t want to and work among people most people don’t want to touch.
So I have been going twice or three times a week in the morning to the NBU of the hospital. I have helped mothers nurse their preemie babies. I have washed and fed preemie babies some as small as 2 and ½ pounds. I like to hold them as much as possible and when I’m alone I sing songs to them and pray for them. I have loved building relationships with the mothers and practice the language with them. I was actually able to witness 2 births! It was once again fascinating and I was so grateful for the experience.
I also like to go to the pediatric ward and talk with the kids and mothers of sick babies and children with burns. Some of them are so sick and just need cheering up and the moms are so bored and they need company. I get to know them a little bit and introduce myself and then ask if I can pray for them. Most welcome it with gratitude but some refuse. I have made some very good friends by visiting there and have seen many heart breaking situations. How I wish I could help them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment